Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bliss in opportunities...

Many years ago, in Hawaii after I gave birth to my first child, I attempted to realize a high school dream of becoming a Registered Nurse.  It failed because of finances and life went on.  A few years later, after the birth of my second child in Alaska, I tried again.  At that time I was living in low income housing (the nicest apt I had ever had!!) and receiving State aid because of pregnancy issues and being on bed rest and having to quit my job.  I was extremely grateful that I got the assistance at that time!!  When my daughter was a few months old I started looking into school and everything was falling into place.  However, the issue of money came up again and I wasn't going to put schooling on hold again!  So, I applied for financial aid through the University and a loan to get me going.  I called the State offices to see what I would still qualify for with getting any aid or loans from the University...I was mainly concerned about food and medical.  To my surprise they told me I wouldn't qualify for anything at all if I went to school and received ANY aid.  NOTHING!  I was totally blown away and I remember saying to the lady on the phone, "you mean if I do nothing to better myself and just sit home and do nothing you will continue to help us?"  To which she replied, "I know it doesn't seem right but that's how it is."  So, I dropped from the system, because I wanted more.

As grateful as I was to receive State aid at that time I remember feeling awful every time I went to their offices.  I met and spoke with people there who were also getting aid but many had no intentions of doing anything else.  People actually told me they had the system worked out and knew they'd only qualify until their kid reached a certain age.  Their solution...to have another baby at just the right time so they could live indefinitely on Welfare. Kid after kid to just get the government aid.

I think the idea of helping people in need, as I was for those few months, is great.  But, I think that the system is broken, as is, and people unfortunately aren't honest and abuse the system.  I was fortunate. After dropping from the system, I survived on very minimal, as I went to college for the first time in my life, as a single parent with two young children.  In some countries your early choices determine just how much success or opportunity you'll have in your adult life.  My choices were as they were and I realized that it was up to me to turn things around if I didn't want to be idle for the rest of my life.  Thank heavens I  live in a country where I can still progress and change the direction I was headed so early on!!

The government was there to help me when I needed it, and I'm thankful.  But, when I wanted more to better myself, I felt at that time, the government bailed on me.  But, I didn't give up.  I realized my dreams eventually, and I worked hard to get where I am.  I know I'm blessed and I know a lot of what I have is because of a loving Father in heaven who has watched over me and allowed me more opportunity to improve myself.  I'm not anti-government.  I just think the way some "aid" programs are set up don't allow people who want to progress, to do so.

I'm grateful I live in America where each of us can still realize our childhood dreams for opportunity and growth.  It really is smarter to teach a man to fish rather than to just give him fish.  I find my bliss in opportunity to grow and prosper.

1 comment:

Mallory said...

you're such a great person, Mother!!!!